Today we are exploring a perennial hot topic question here at St. Lawrence Seminary: Are high school extracurricular activities important on a college application?
Let’s cut to the chase. The answer is YES.
We have highlighted the top three most frequently asked questions we receive about extracurriculars and their answers.
How important are extracurricular activities for high school kids? Very, and the reasons are many. High schoolers who participate in extracurriculars are shown to have:
- Greater focus
- Increased brain function
- Better concentration (which aides with studying)
- Developed social skills
- A greater capacity to work on a team to achieve a shared goal
- Increased self-confidence
- An appreciation of different experiences they otherwise may not have known they enjoy
- The ability to build stamina in the face of difficulty
- Advanced leadership skills
- Better time management (One report found that college students who successfully controlled their time performed better in coursework, felt less stress, and were less overloaded.)
Don’t forget that colleges really do look for and reward applicants with meaningful extracurricular achievements - which brings us to our next question.
What extracurricular activities look best on a college application? Studies have shown the following are among the most beneficial extracurricular activities for students.
- Academic teams and clubs (math club, reading group, National Honor Society)
- Arts and Sciences (band, art club, forensics)
- Hobbies (cooking club, bike group)
- Sports (teams or individual sports)
- Leadership activities (student government, volunteering)
And great news – St. Lawrence Seminary happens to provide many of these!
How do St. Lawrence’s extracurriculars prepare your student for college? In addition to our rigorous academics in the classroom, St. Lawrence offers many extracurricular activities for the boys on campus. Our groups and clubs focus on academic, artistic, recreational, and social justice. Also, in addition to our athletic teams, we have math and forensic teams that compete throughout the state.
We are proud to report that our list of extracurriculars changes every year. Thanks to the dedication and involvement of our faculty and staff, if a student wants to start a club that doesn’t yet exist, he only has to ask, and he can help create that club (which is a fabulous learning opportunity itself)!
Check out our current activities and clubs for our students.
- International club
- Math team
- National Honor Society
- Reading club
- Student government
- Student publications
Arts and Sciences
- Art club
- Bike club
- Cooking club
- Field trips
- Venture scouts
So, are high school extracurricular activities important on a college application? Absolutely. But equally important, they provide vital learning opportunities for students, like being socially skilled, physically active, mentally challenged, and a well-rounded person - all of which make them great candidates for any college and valuable members of society.
Have a question or want more information? Delve into our website, call 920-753-7570 or drop us an email at email@example.com.