View All Posts
Blog Home

About This Blog

Making the decision to enroll in a private, Catholic high school is an exciting one, but it also comes with its questions and challenges. Light on The Hill is designed to keep prospective and current students — and their parents — up-to-date on news, thoughts, and events relevant to the mission and values at St. Lawrence Seminary High School. 

Recent Posts

St. Lawrence Seminary Students Attend the Beatification of Fr. Solanus Casey

Posted by Francisco Sauceda on Nov 22, 2017 3:30:00 PM

On Saturday, November 18, Catholics from across the country and the world traveled to Detroit, MI, to witness the beatification of Fr. Solanus Casey, a Capuchin friar with ties to Wisconsin. Those pilgrims included the entire student body and many staff members from St. Lawrence Seminary in Mt. Calvary.

Read More

Topics: Faith & Formation

How St. Lawrence Seminary High School Helped Two Students Pursue Friarhood

Posted by Francisco Sauceda on Oct 26, 2017 1:40:00 PM

On April 30th, Fr. Tien Dinh and Fr. Tom Nguyen returned to Saint Lawrence Seminary High School chapel in Mount Calvary, Wisconsin, to be ordained to the priesthood before the community of students, faculty, staff, family, friends, and Capuchin Friars.  This milestone for these two “Sons of Calvary” was especially meaningful as it occurred in the very place where their spiritual journeys began.

Fr. Tien Dinh was born in Vietnam, but raised in Marrero near New Orleans, Louisiana. The second youngest in a family of four brothers and four sisters, he first arrived on campus as a freshman at the age of 14. “My decision to attend St. Lawrence Seminary was a life-changing experience. It was at St. Lawrence, where I met all the people that helped shape me into the person I am today. Everyone played a major role in my growth not only as a person, but also as a Catholic.”

Read More

Topics: Faith & Formation

Father Solanus Casey’s Road to Sainthood

Posted by Francisco Sauceda on Oct 19, 2017 4:00:00 PM

On November 18th, a caravan of busses will bring the students of St. Lawrence Seminary to Detroit, Michigan. At Ford Field, the home of the Detroit Lions, they will join an expected 60,000 people at the stadium, but they won’t be cheering for a football game.

Read More

Topics: Faith & Formation, Campus and Events

How Faith Can Play A Positive Role in Education

Posted by Father Gary on Sep 7, 2017 1:45:00 PM

Since being ordained, I can say without any doubt that celebrating the baptism of a child is my favorite sacrament.

It is also the only sacrament that begins with a question. Parents are asked the name of their child and what they ask for their child. The answer to the first question obviously varies from child to child. The answer to the second question should always be the same:“baptism”.

Read More

Topics: Faith & Formation, Student Life

How SLS Goes Beyond The Books

Posted by Katie Daane on Aug 10, 2017 3:00:00 PM

One of the ways that St. Lawrence Seminary High School knows that it is effective in developing its students is through the success of our alumni.

From being well prepared for their freshman college courses, to their successful entrance into the world of their careers, to their continued involvement in the church, it is clear that SLS alumni are inspired and motivated by their time on the Hill.

This isn’t accidental. It is intentionally cultivated through the school’s programs and offerings.

Read More

Topics: Faith & Formation, Boarding School for High School, Boarding School Benefits, Values

A Teacher’s Perspective: How St. Lawrence Seminary High School Changed My Life

Posted by Katie Daane on Jun 29, 2017 1:30:00 PM

While each student’s story of how he came to St. Lawrence Seminary High School and why he chose to stay is unique, so is each and every teacher’s story.

Very few people probably expect their first job out of college to be their last. They likely look at it as a stepping stone to the next best thing. But for a lucky few, their first job can be not only a launching zone but a landing pad. I was one of those lucky few. I was hired at St. Lawrence straight out of college. Mine was only one among a sea of applications, but it was my first interview and my first job offer. And besides knowing I wanted any job, I also knew I wanted this job.

Working at SLS was an opportunity I didn’t want to miss, not only because I had just walked into a real-life Hogwarts (yes, that’s a nerdy reference, but trust me, if you see our Hill, you’ll understand my first impression), but also because I had been impressed like so many of our prospective students — by the college prep curriculum and the unique atmosphere.

But while I took the job for several reasons, I stayed for so many more.

Read More

Topics: Faith & Formation, Boarding School Benefits

St. Lawrence Seminary’s Angel Tree Project

Posted by Katie Daane on Dec 20, 2016 11:46:00 AM

Advent literally means “coming,” and it is celebrated by many Catholics as a time of preparation. We look to the coming of Christ and work to spread His message of love and hope with all whom we encounter.

While many people in the world prepare for Christmas in myriad ways, the students and staff at St. Lawrence Seminary High School prepare for it in one very special way: through their participation in Angel Tree, a Prison Fellowship program.

Read More

Topics: Mission, Faith & Formation, Student Life

Ministry Opportunities at St. Lawrence Seminary High School

Posted by Francisco Sauceda on Sep 27, 2016 2:55:00 PM

Service ministry is an opportunity for St. Lawrence Seminary High School students to transform the world through reverence. And through ministry to others, St. Lawrence students build relationships, improve the quality of life for those served, learn new skills, share gifts, and above all, live out the gospel invitation to serve others.

Take a look at five of the many ministry opportunities available to St. Lawrence students.

Read More